The Alberta Municipal Solar Program (AMSP) provides financial rebates to Alberta municipalities who install solar photovoltaics (PV) on municipal facilities or land and complete public engagement for the project. For detailed information on eligibility requirements, available funding, and how to apply, please refer to the AMSP Guidebook.
Who can participate?
- Municipalities: all designated municipalities within the Province of Alberta that meet the definition of "municipality" as per Section 1(s) of the Municipal Government Act.
- Community-related organizations: non-profit community-related organizations (CROs) are eligible to participate if the project is located on municipally owned facilities or municipally owned land. While CROs are eligible to participate, the municipality must be the signatory to the funding agreement and all reimbursements made under the program will be directed to the municipality.
What types of projects are eligible to receive funding through the AMSP?
- Solar PV systems that are greater than or equal to 2 kW and less than or equal to 1 MW in installation capacity
- All projects must be compliant with Alberta’s Micro-generation Regulation 27/2008
- All projects must be completed and energized after February 5, 2016
What types of projects are ineligible to receive funding through the AMSP?
- Projects located on facilities or land owned by the private sector, schools, universities, hospitals, and the provincial or federal governments
- Projects located on temporary structures
- Off-grid solar PV and solar thermal projects
- Projects that are supported financially by other Government of Alberta climate change initiatives
How much funding is available?
Participants are eligible to receive a rebate per watt of total installed capacity ($/W), as per the table below. The rate tier is determined by the total installed capacity of a project submitted through a single AMSP Application. Total funding provided by the MCCAC will not exceed 20% of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $300,000 per project application. The rebate will be issued after the MCCAC has verified that the project is complete.
|Total Installed Capacity (DC)||Rebate|
|10 kilowatts to <150 kilowatts||$0.60/Watt|
|150 kilowatts to 1 Megawatt||$0.45/Watt|
Note: Funding is available on a first come, first served basis. Municipalities are eligible to submit multiple applications.
How do I apply?
Interested participants are invited to submit the AMSP Expression of Interest as a first step.
Upon receiving feedback and approval from the MCCAC, please proceed to the AMSP Application.
Where do I find additional information?
Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com